Saturday, January 8, 2011

John Vanderslice - The Mansion

I admit it - when I moved to Southern California I jumped into my new lifestyle pretty blindly and wasn't sure what to expect. But of all the things that you could have told me about my future life in Los Angeles I can tell you what I certainly did not expect....a blizzard. Granted at the time I was headed to the mountains, but with my destination residing at a humble 2500 feet (altitude) I thought I was still fairly safe from snow. Wrong indeed. As I cruised through Pasadena, cursing myself for leaving my Ipod back home on the kitchen table, I noticed the light drizzle outside turning to snow. The sight of snow so close to my new home made me giddy with excitement. I used my cell phone to attempt to snap pictures of the snow falling on palm trees and enthusiastically sent the pictures to everyone I know. After all *clearly* I was witnessing some sort of miracle (or sign of impeding doom). 20 miles and three hours later I had lost my initial enthusiasm. I watched as traffic stood still; a sea of brake lights stretched out  in front of me as far as I could see and vehicles began to slide sideways, falling victim to the inward slope of the road. Vehicles that had lost traction and given up all hope in proceeding any farther were scattered all over the highway. I methodically tried to navigate through the mess and am quite sure that I held my breath for the entire five hours. Too scared to take my eyes off of the road for long enough to change a CD, I listened to this song on repeat, and it's been in my head all week. This video doesn't really do the song justice, but I still haven't figured out how to share digital downloads so this will have to do for now. It's great. I promise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment