Sunday, January 2, 2011

Out with the old, in with the new.

I'm kind of a scrooge for New Year's. I think this is partially because I've felt stuck in a rut since college. Every New Year's Eve it the same; I look back on the year with contempt that I haven't changed my life enough to matter, yet I live the following year the exact same way as before, falling into the comfortable ease of my old routine. I vow to change many things all at once and then, exasperated, take a turn and meander down that well worn path on the journey to next year. I genuinly feel hopeful that the new year will bring the much needed change and then there I sit, cynical every December 31st. So this year I didn't care about New Year's Eve. I couldn't give two shits. Oh, I tried, but my effort was quickly covered up, not by end of the year cynicism but by premonitionary distrust that this, this year would be different. I wasn't buying it. I was asleep by 11:40 and when my husband woke me up for the changing of the day, I said, "Great. Let's go to bed." And, honestly, I haven't given much thought that the year now ends in '11. The ironic part to all this is that this grudge I hold for the beginning of 2011 just might be enough to change my poor attitude for all things change. So here's my resolution, vague as it might be--Just be happy. And if you aren't happy, then do something about it. Damn it. And stop wallowing the the comfortable routine of your life just because it's easy.

I think 2011 might be a good year afterall.

And to finish up this post, a quote:

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
~T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment