Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter

Another Easter is upon us. Being a non-Christian this day has felt like just another obligatory family gathering day. I haven't felt particularly excited about Easter since I still believed in the Easter Bunny. (A potential pet that leaves us toys AND candy in the night?! I'm in.) So when I awoke this morning and painted my toes to prepare for the sandals that will accompany my Sunday best, I did a little reflecting. Easter, like most Christian holidays, is celebrated this time of year because the Christians in their desire to convert pagans planned their major religious holidays around the pagans'. In an effort to make things easier, I presume. So, while I don't consider myself a pagan by any stretch of the imagination, I can appreciate their desire for the earth to renew itself, for rebirth, for the chance the gods allowed them at surviving the year after a hard winter. I often feel this way come early spring. I don't take to cold very well and when warmer weather even thinks of making an appearance I get giddy like a preschooler loaded on chocolate. So thank you, gods, whoever you might be, for my springtime renewal. Thank you for letting me plant a garden and enjoy the sunshine. Thank you for little bunnies and birdies and the reminder that life carries on and things will always be fresh and new someday.

1 comment: