Sunday, September 19, 2010

Simply a few of my favorite things.

With dashed hopes of a rummage sale, I figured I would share a few things to kill a rainy Sunday.


Okay. So. The first album I ever bought was a used copy of Madonna's Like a Prayer. (Thanks to a teenaged sales girl who convinced two concerned parents that Madanna wasn't total smut pre-1993.) I became pretty obsessed with it at the age of 12 so it holds a special place in my heart to this day. Most of my friends were listening to grunge or rap and not pop music a decade old so no one my age is familiar with this album. Except for Sia. Who stole my prepubecent heart when I heard a cover of "Oh Father" by her one day at work.


I really feel that everyone should learn how to make pumpkin flavored things from scratch--'tis the season, afterall. Pumpkin flavored things that do not involve adding a can of "pumpkin pie mix." That's right. I'm talking about making your own pumpkin puree and adding spice to it as you see fit. It's easy. I promise, Pun'kin.
From allrecipies.com.
Using a medium sized sugar pumpkin will yeild about 1 1/2 cups of puree. (Do not use carving pumpkins! Except to make fantastic faces, of course.)
Cut the pumpkin in half and discard the stem section and stringy pulp. Save the seeds to dry and roast.
In a shallow baking dish place the two halves face down and cover with foil. (I use a baking sheet and line it with foil.)
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
Once the pumpkin has cooled, scoop out the flesh and puree it or mash it.
For silky smooth custards or soups, press the pumpkin puree through a sieve.
What's a body to do with all that fresh pumpkin puree? Make muffins! Doy.
Skinny Pumpkin Muffins
Need something to do while the pumpkin is roasting or the muffins are cooling? Check out the Modern Love column in the New York Times.
Modern Love walks beside me.
Aside from referencing Davie Bowie, the New York Times hosts a bevy of guest writers who speak about their experiences with the love in their life. A realistic take on love lost and love had that never fails to tug at the heartstrings. Best shared with a mug of coffee and pyjamas, and later as a recollection with your own love. Forever a great way to waste the day away.
Happy listening/baking/reading, dear reader! See you next week.

2 comments: